Ahmedabad is the trade and commercial capital of Gujrat. This city is located on the coast of the Sabarmati River. It is a beautiful city famous for its astonishing architecture and textile industries. Earlier the city was the capital of Gujrat. It is the industrial centre for cotton production in India. The city is named Manchester of India. It is the safest and 5th most populous city in the country.
This city has various historical monuments having astonishing architecture. It has a lot to explore and witness. Ahmedabad is the only city where you can learn about the essential characters of Indian independence history. This city has various temples, mosques, tombs and monuments to explore. The architectural style of the town has multicultural characters of the sultan and pre-sultan periods.
- Ahmedabad was the capital of Gujrat for six centuries.
- The city was commissioned by Sultan Ahmed Shah in 1411 BC and got its name after him.
- It is India’s first city to be counted among World Heritage.
- Mahatma Gandhi started his Salt March from this city against the Britishers.
- This city is one of the cities out of hundred cities in India,i.e., to be developing as Smart City.
- Ahmedabad is an important textile hub of the country. As the cotton textile of the city has the essence of Gujarati tradition and culture.
- The Narendra Modi Stadium of Ahmedabad is the largest stadium in the country as well as in the whole world.
- The city has the second-oldest stock exchange in the country.
- It is an alcohol-free city in the country.
Major tourist attractions
- Statue of Unity :- This is the bronze statue of 182 meters high of Sardar Vallabh Patel. The statue is on Sadhu Bet island on the bank of river Narmada. It is the world’s tallest statue attracting thousands of visitors across the world.
- Calico Textile Museum :- This is the oldest textile museum in the city. This museum was founded by Sarabhai Family. Here you can see the waving materials, collections of different designers, and clothes from various regions of the country. Additionally, it holds the artworks, hangings, and miniature art of South India.
- Sabarmati Riverfront :- This is a riverfront made on the bank of the Sabarmati river. It is a beautiful location for spending some quality time. This place was made with the aim of developing as well as spreading cleanliness and hygiene in the city.
- Kankaria Lake :- It is the second largest lake in the city and the best place to visit in the evening. Here in this place, you can stroll near the lake. Additionally, you can also enjoy the adventures present there. This site is the perfect blend of culture, entertainment, and knowledge.
Speciality of Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad is the city depicting the tradition and culture of Gujrat state with a modern touch. This city has so many things you can learn from and have experiences from them. The city is famous for its amazing textiles. Here you can buy colourful traditional clothes with modern looks. The lifestyle of the city has a unique vibe. However, you can easily recognise a Gujarati person anywhere in the country. These people always carry a different look and style along with their Gujarati vibe. Ahmedabad is not only famous for its textile but the city is also important for its development in technology sectors. Hence, you can visit to science city here to witness the incredible models of science.
Heritage sites of the city
- Sabarmati Ashram :- This is the old ashram where Mahatma Gandhi and his wife with his followers lived here for more than 13 years. From here only he started his Dandi March against the salt law of Britishers. Now it is a museum showing the lifestyle of Gandhi, his old pictures, and some letters.
- Bhadra Forts :- This fort was built in 1411 by Ahmed Shah I. This is one of the musts to visit sites in the city. This fort has a Bhadra Kali temple inside it devoted to the goddess Kali. This temple was established by Marathas during their rule in the city.
- Jhulta Minar :- It is an amazing architectural structure built with magnificent techniques. This minaret is five thousand years old. According to the locals if you shake one minaret other minars will also start shaking in a few seconds.
- Sidi Saiyyed Mosque :- This is the most visited mosque in the town, built in 1573. The mosque is a beautiful location to visit in the city. It has ten windows which are designed with magnificent curves. These are the major attractions of the mosque.
- Khandvi :- It is a low calories food, prepared with chickpea flour. This is a little bit sweet dish and a light snack. Khandvi is like rolled sheet made with a paste of chickpea flour and green chilli. It is a tasty dish that is a must to try in the city.
- Khakhra :- This is the tea snack as well as the breakfast for the locals. Khakhra is a crispy and crunchy snack available in different flavours. You can any time and anywhere eat this snack easy. It is one of the famous snacks of the city.
- Fafda – Jalebi :- This is the most famous dish in the city. It is basically a tea snack and the most-eaten street food. Jalebi is a sweet dish made with chickpea and all-purpose flour as well as dipped in sugar syrup and Fafda is made with chickpea flour.
- Dhokla :- It is a must to try the dish of the state. Dhokla is a snack with a sweet and sour taste and with soft as well as puffy texture. It is a delicious dish also known as Khaman or Khaman Dhokla. This dish is the must-try dish of Gujrat having a traditional feel.
Best time to visit
Hence, there is no specific time to visit the city. But most people move to the city during the Kite and Navratri festivals. It is a nine days festival celebrated and devoted to Goddess Durga. During the festivals, a lot of tourists from across the world visit different parts of the state. Ahmedabad is one of the largest cities in the state attracting so many visitors. However, the best time to visit the city is the months from October to March.
Therefore, it can be said that Ahmedabad is a colourful city in India. Here you can explore the vibrant culture of Gujrat. It is a beautiful city with lots of things to explore as well as experience. This city has an amazing vibe as you can enjoy your trip to the city to its fullest. Hence, it is a must to explore the city of the state while you are visiting here.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with ghummoindia.com