Goa is an exciting state in the western region of India. This state has the smallest geographical area but has the largest GDP per capita in the country. It is the most visited holiday destination, attracting thousands of visitors from across the world. The place is famous for its beautiful architecture Churches, crazy Nightlife, and white-sand Beaches.
Earlier Goa was ruled by the Portuguese for around 450 years and the state was named by the Portuguese. But in the Sanskrit language, it is referred to as “Gomantak” which means fertile land. Here you can see the historic buildings as well as monuments designed in Portuguese style. The largest city of the state is Vasco de Gama where the Portuguese came as traders and then concurred the land.
The state parted in two halves, one is South Goa and the second is North Goa. Both the parts have different looks as well as lifestyles. Goa is an enjoyable place where you can experience exotic life along with the beauty of nature. This state is known for its Carnival festival as well as for the New Year celebrations. Here you can find the cheapest alcohol and the best seafood ever.
Guide to North Goa
This is the place for night bees, who enjoys more nights than days. It is the hub of nightclubs, busy beaches, casinos, markets, and street food. It is a fun-loving location with the essence of ancient history. North Goa is the place where you can find some of the famous beaches of the country. This part is the hotspot location of Goa where you can experience everything from picturesque views of sunsets to amazing sea adventures.
Some of the famous spots here are the Basilica of Bom Jesus, Anjuna Beach, Fort Aguada, Mangeshi Temple, Goa State Museum, Arpora Night Market, Deltin Royale, Britto’s Shack, Thalassa, Cavala, etc. This place has so many things as well as places to visit. It is a never-ending destination, tourist visit here again and again for enjoying their vacations near the sea.
Mystery of South Goa
This part of the state is the land of relaxation as well as calm beaches along with luxury resorts. The place is rich in exotic beaches, historic monuments, and churches along with peace in the environment. In South Goa, tourists can relax and have a tranquil walk on its beaches in the evening. This part of Goa offers delicious delicacies, alluring parties, perfect date nights, adventure sports, and so on.
Here tourists can visit Colva Beach, Galgibaga Beach, St. Alex Church, Dudhsagar Waterfalls, Cabo de Rama Fort, Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary, Martin’s Corner, The Farm House Bar and Bristo, and the list goes on like this. This part has so much to explore as well as experience. You can experience underwater scuba diving, ride in the sky on hot air balloons, calm yourself in ayurvedic massages, and many more.
- Baga Beach :- This is the must to visit the beach of Goa. The beach is famous for its water adventures as well as for markets. Here you can experience thrilling adventures like jet skiing, water scooters, surfing, dolphin trips and many more. Tourists also enjoy themselves in restaurants here such as Britto’s, Mambos, and Tito’s.
- Butterfly Beach :- This is the gem of Goa hidden between the hills. The beach is a half-circular bay with turquoise water. It is a heavenly destination where you can see butterflies flying on the hilltops and goldfish and crabs in the water. This beach is a perfect location for couples to have some peaceful quality time. The only way to reach here is by boat rides.
- Sinquerim Beach :- This is a beautiful beach having a view of gorgeous sandy shoreline. It is a historic beach near Aguada Fort and is one of the major attractions of the state. This is a long stretch of beach where you can have fun with your family. Moreover, you can experience various adventures here along with amazing street foods.
- Palolem Beach :- This beach is an all-rounder of all beaches here. It has so much to experience from scenic views to exploding adventures. This beach is surrounded by many shacks, silent discos, and palm trees. The beach is of crescent shape giving its visitors a full view of the beach from its centre.
Heritage sites of Goa
- Basilica of Bam Jesus :- This church is the must to visit the church of old Goa. This church is recorded in the list of UNESCO Heritage Sites of the world. The church is famous for its mummy of St. Xavier which is put to show after every ten years. This magnificent site is designed with Portuguese architecture over 400 years ago.
- Cabo de Rama Fort :- It is one of the oldest forts of Goa. It is said that this fort was the residence of Lord Rama during his exile. The fort is now a church of St. Antonio. This church is situated with the most beautiful views of the state.
- Tambdi Surla Mahadev Temple :- This temple was built in the 12th century and is one of the oldest temples in the state. This temple is designed in the Kadamba-Yadava style which is a rare form of architecture found in the country. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Chapora Fort :- This fort was constructed by Adil Shah, who named it Shahpura. This fort is situated near the river Chapora on a hilly rock. The fort was used for the shooting of the Bollywood movie Dil Chahta Hai. This is a historic site which was named again by the Portuguese as Chapora.
Attractions of Goa
- Dudhsagar Waterfalls :- It is the tallest water in the country situated on River Mandovi. This is a breathtaking location in the state. The fall is 1017ft. high as well as has four rows of falls. The name of the fall is exactly like its visuals, i.e., Sea of Milk. This fall is located on the border of Karnataka and Goa.
- Anjuna Flea Market :- This is a Wednesday market on Anjuna Beachfront. This market is one of the famous markets of Goa, where you can purchase Tibetan as well as Nepali-style goods and clothes. This market is famous for its funky jewellery, live music, tattoo corners, piercing centres, etc.
- Casino Pride :- It is an exciting gaming alley floating on Captain of ports Jetty, Panaji. It is an amazing three floored ambience with mind-blowing interiors as well as exteriors. This casino has a profusion of games along with bars and restaurants. It also has a kid’s zone for taking care of children and indulging them in various games.
Best time to visit
Tourists visit Goa whenever they want to or they have holidays. Because it is best to visit somewhere when you want a holiday. But it is considered that you should visit here in winter or during the end of monsoons. So, the best time to visit here is in the months from October – January. During these months the rains have come to end and winters are at their start. The weather here in these months is best for sightseeing as well as for parties, not so cold or hot just pleasant.
It can be concluded that Goa is a perfect holiday destination. The state has an amazing mixture of day and nightlife. It is a place where you can enjoy every second of 24 hours and create uncountable memories. Goa is a location where you can just move to without having any other thought in mind.
If you want to know more about travel, stay updated with ghummoindia.com