Mahabaleshwar is a magnificent hill station in the Western Ghats of Maharashtra. This beautiful location is famous for its breathtaking views of green hills, waterfalls, strawberry farms, and many more. The town is a well-known weekend destination for the people of Mumbai and Pune. It is one of the evergreen forests in the country which remains green throughout the year. The town is named Mahabaleshwar after the name of Lord Shiva. However, it is a sacred town from where the religious river Krishna starts flowing.
This place is a picturesque destination to have some peaceful memories in the lap of mother earth. Here the forest is rich in herbal and exotic flora and fauna like Bulbul, Dear, and Foxes. Mahabaleshwar was founded by Deogiri King Singhan who built a temple with a pound sourcing water from the Krishna river. This city got famous after the rule of Maratha king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in the seventeenth century. The Pratapgadh Fort was earlier owned by the successors of Shivaji Maharaj. However, in 1819 this town has come under the possession of Britishers and they named it Malcolm Peth.
The hill station is famous for
This hill station is prestigious for its delicious strawberries and raspberry farms. It is the thing that one should shop here for jams, jellies, honey, and many other handmade products. These forests here are rich with medicating herbs and plants used in the formation of ayurvedic medicines. This town is a prominent destination for joining meditation and yoga camps. Here you can gain peace of mind and silence away from this hustling environment of the city. However, you can also buy some local delicacies of the region like Kolhapuri footwear, handicraft, jute items, etc.
Along with the scenic beauty and strawberries this hill town is a popular religious spot to visit with your family. The Mahabaleshwar Temple is one of the most worshiped temples in the country, along with this temple here you can find many ancient temples having great spiritual as well as religious values. Moreover, the name of this city literally means the God of Powers, i.e., implicated to Lord Shiva. This city has the historic Panchganga Temple which is the source of five rivers Koyan, Venna, Savitri, Gayatri, and Krishna.
Viewpoints near the town
- Elephant’s head Point :- This is a famous viewpoint here also known as Kate’s Point. It was named after the British Governor Sir. John Malcom’s daughter. Basically, this point is an elephant head shape cliff where you can have a paranoiac view of the hill station. Here tourists can enjoy horse riding as well as the voice repetition from Echo point.
- Aurdhersit Point :- It is another astonishing viewpoint here from where you can have an incredible view of the Savitri valley and Castel point. However, this place is famous for its hunter’s point, tiger spring point, window point, and echo point. According to the locals at tiger spring point, wild animals come to drink the fresh water flowing between the forests.
- Arthur’s seat Point :- This is the Queen of all the points. This is the place where Sir Arthur sits to view the flow of the Savitri River in which his wife and child were drowned. However, this is the place where he spent all his evenings after their accident. It is a mesmerizing location to spend some peaceful time and witness the enchanting beauty of the valley during the sunset.
- Elphinstone Point :- It is one of the most beautiful points of the town. This point is named after Mountsturat Elphinstone who was the Governor of the Bombay Presidency in 1830. It is the highest point of Mahabaleshwar as well as the origin point of the Savitri River. However, from this point, you can have a breathtaking view of the lush green mountains surrounding the location.
Attractions of Mahabaleshwar
- Mahabaleshwar Temple :- This is an ancient temple devoted to Lord Shiva. It is a more than 800 years old temple known for the foundation of the hill station. This place is a must to visit location in the old town, near this temple you can also visit Panchganga Temple. This is the meeting point of five sacred rivers and the most religious location here. They say that in the Mahabaleshwar temple, Lord Shiva is worshipped in the form of a Rudraksha bead.
- Pratapgadh Fort :- It is a must to visit location in the Satara district of Maharashtra. This is a magnificent fort standing 3500 ft above sea level and was built by Chhatrapati Shivaji in 1656. It is famous for the battle fought between Chhatrapati Shivaji and Afzal Khan in 1659. From this fort, you can have a magnificent view of the valley and picturesque views of the Western Ghats.
- Tapola :- This tourist spot is 29 km away from the main town also known as Mini Kashmir. This is an outstanding destination to explore here, which has a calming environment. Tapola is a small village and the least visited location where you can experience the breathtaking views of the lush green mountains and beautiful sunrise as well as sunsets. However, here you can also enjoy various adventures like boating, kayaking, trekking, and many more.
- Panchgani :- It is the most must-visit hill station near Mahabaleshwar known for its epic views and mesmerizing surroundings. This town has so much to explore and experience. However, tourist visit to witness the natural beauty in the amazing climate of the town. It is a hill station surrounded by five green mountain ranges making it a paradise for nature lovers.
Specialties of the town
Every place has its own specialties as well as experiences. Similarly, Mahabaleshwar has a plethora of things to do, explore, experience, and make memories of. This charming hill station is a full-pack holiday destination to visit. The town is famous for its enchanting views, natural beauty, calming environment, food, and many more. However, visiting anywhere and not exploring its marketplaces is like missing the local touch of the destination. This hill station is known for its night markets and weekly markets.
Here you can buy local handicrafts, Kohlapuri footwear, and regional traditional style clothes while tasting the tasty street food of the region. It is necessary to taste the Maharashtrian street food known for its tangy flavors and lip-smacking delicacies. Moreover, this valley is famous for its delicious strawberries and raspberries. You can purchase as well as taste different fruits at every location you visit. Therefore, visiting Mapro Garden is a good decision to try and buy the local products of the town.
Best time to visit
Traveling in the season which suits you the most is the best time to explore a destination. Hence, there is no particular time or period to visit any location but it is important to know the safe and peak season before visiting the destination. During that time, you can experience more and more about the location. However, December – February are the peak months of Mahabaleshwar, as in these months the weather is good and pleasing for exploring the hill station.
During this time, you can experience various adventure activities as well as witness many sights easily. Nature lovers prefer to visit the town during the months of June – September because this is the time of monsoon season. In these months the atmosphere here is rainy and the views of the valley are breathtaking and astonishing. However, this is an off-season to visit here due to heavy rainfall which causes the hills slippery.
Therefore, Mahabaleshwar is a perfect tourist as well as a holiday destination to visit with your family and friends. Here you can explore various historical landmarks, ancient temples, and mesmerizing views. This hill station is a beautiful location that makes your heart get lost in its heavenly beauty and scenic views. Table Plateau here is the second longest mountain plateau in Asia. However, this town is a well-known location for outdoor shoots as many movie scenes are shoot here. It is not harmful to say that this place binds you in its spell that makes your visit here again and again.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with ghummoindia.com