Andaman and Nicobar Islands, are an island chain located on the eastern geographical boundaries of India. It is a splendid chain of 572 islands in the Bay of Bengal. These attractive undulating islands are known for their tropical evergreen forests, exotic flora and fauna, mangroves, and rain-feds. It is divided into two island groups. First is the Andaman group which covers about 550 islands of which 28 are inhabited. Second is the Nicobar group of 22 islands, of which 10 are inhabited. These groups are separated by 150 km. wide Ten Degree Channel.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands are historically significant landmarks of India’s first war of independence, i.e., Ross Island, Viper Island, Hopetown, Cellular Jail, and Mount Harriet. These islands are the home of various endemic birds and many species and non-species are found here. The Andaman Islands have a large number of Wildlife Sanctuaries, Biosphere Reserves, and National Parks. These islands have graced both southwest and northeast monsoon. That’s why it receives rainfall twice a year. From the northeast monsoon between November to January. Then from the southwest monsoon between May to September.
BEST TIME TO VISIT ANDAMANS
Andaman and Nicobar Islands enjoy a balmy climate. The changes in temperature are minimal and stay engaging throughout the year. The best time to visit the islands is from October to May. As the monsoon is over by this time and the weather becomes beautiful for water sports, sightseeing, and relaxing on beaches.
Hence, travelers visit between May to September, for exploring new experiences in life and to unwind from their daily routine lives. They visit for feeling a few moments of silence, solitude, and bliss. During this period of monsoon season, water sports are not available due to unpredictable rains, strong winds, and high tidal waves.
Tourist places of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Cellular Jail:- It is a must-visit place in Port Blair in Andaman. In 1908 Freedom Fighters built the jail and commissioned by the Britishers. It is a three-story and seven-wing building. Since the place is a witness to the horrific hardships faced by freedom fighters of India. “Kala Panni” is the name of Cellular Jail. It is famous for its sound and light show in the evening.
- Chidiya Tapu:- This island is heaven for nature lovers and the house of various indigenous birds. Chidiya Tapu is a treasure trove of mesmerizing ocean views and thick mangroves. In fact, the biological park here offers exotic plant species and elegant birds and animals. The island is famous for its adventure sports like sea-walking, scuba diving or snorkeling, and many more. Chidiya tapu is famous for its sunset point. Where tourists can end their long day and relax.
- Radhanagar Beach:- It is a blue flag beach. On the western coast of Havelock islands. Radha Nagar beach is the most popular destination for tourists in Andamans. This beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Asia, due to its sparkling blue sea and soft silver sand. Radhanagar beach is the best spot for photographers longing for a perfect shot.
Other Major Tourist Places
- Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park:- This park is 39 years old. It is an untouched group of 15 islands. And the home of the most attractive collars and marine life in the country. National Park is a part of Wandoor islands in Port Blair. The most attractive thing about this park is riding the glass boats, showing the entire marine under your seats.
- Mount Harriet National Park:- Mount Harriet is a part of this park, and is the highest point in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It is the best trekking spot on the island. Mount Harriet National Park is famous for its alluring flora and fauna species. This is also a hotspot for butterflies. Thus, you can trek through Madhuban Jungle to explore the beauty of Mount Harriet and see the regional animals and butterflies that fly around.
HOW TO REACH ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLANDS
Andaman and Nicobar Islands are the union territory of India. So Indians do not require any legal permission to visit here just need a document proving their nationality. But foreigner needs to obtain permissions and documental proofs while traveling. Only by air and sea routes
The fastest and safest way is to board a flight from Bengaluru, Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, and Kolkata airport and it takes around 2.5 to 4 hrs to reach to the capital city, Port Blair. You can also travel by ship, from the ports of Chennai, Kolkata, and Vishakhapatnam, and reach Haddo Wharf, the main sea-port of Port Blair. And the voyage takes a time of 3 to 4 days.
Port Blair airport is 31kms away from Andaman and Nicobar Islands. that takes about 40 mins to reach there by car. There is no direct international ship or flight available to reach Andamans.
In last, Andaman and Nicobar Islands are eco-friendly destinations. Where you can enjoy the beautiful evergreen tropical rain forests, and decorated mangrove-lined streams. Also the silver sand beaches with mesmerizing sunsets and sunrises. The marine life rich with rare species of flora and fauna, provide the best experiences. There are excellent opportunities for adventure sports, trekking, campaigning, nature trails, and so on. Therefore, these islands are a paradise for tourists, due to their never-ending beauty with memorable historical values.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with ghummoindia.