Amer Fort commonly famous as Amber Fort, was built by Raja Man Singh in 1592 AD. The fort is located in Amer town 11km from Jaipur, Rajasthan. It is the center of tourist attractions in Jaipur. Tourists visiting Jaipur must visit this fort. The fort is a magnificent sample of Rajput architecture.
Amer fort is made with pink and yellow stone and decorated with white marble. This fort is the residence of Rajput Rulers during the 11th century. Moreover, the fort is known for its series of gates and cobbled streets. Amer fort also overlooks the Maota Lake.
History of Amer
Amer earlier was the capital of Rajasthan during the rule of Kachwahas, the Rajput rulers. Earlier Amer was named Dhundar. Amer Fort was built by Raja Man Singh the trusted general of Akbar the Great. The fort was built in 1592 AD and renovated by the successor rulers till the capital was shifted to Jaipur after 150 years.
Amer Fort was considered the new residence of the royal family. Previously, the royal family was living in the Old Palace or Kadimi Mahal. Old Palace is one of the oldest palaces in the country. Amer fort was named after the name Lord Shiva and Goddess Amba, the Ambikeshwar. The fort has a temple of Shila Mata, which was bought by Raja Man Singh from Jessore in 1604 AD. The fort has several historical tunnels that were used during wars for escaping.
How and When to Visit Amer Fort
To visit Amer fort, you can take a city bus or taxi from the old city of Jaipur to reach Amer. Then hire a jeep, golf cart, auto rikshaw, or elephant ride to reach the main entrance of the fort. You can also ride your vehicle for reaching to the top entrance. If you want to experience the scenic view of the city from each increasing step towards the Amber fort, you can walk via the old route with small footsteps.
The best time to visit Amer Fort is from October to February during the winter season. This time the weather is cold and nice. Hence you can easily explore the fort, its architecture, and picturesque views of the city from the top. The fort opens at 8 in the morning till 7 in the evening. To experience the beautiful sunset from the fort, reach there at 4 pm.
Major Attractions in fort
Amer Fort is the best tourist destination for learning about the royal lifestyle of Rajput rulers. The fort has various sections. Every section has its own entrance, courtyard, palace, and garden. Amber Fort is a beautiful combination of Rajput and Mughal architecture.
- Jaleb Chowk :- It is the courtyard where the armies show their wins after returning from the war. Suraj Pol and Chand Pol are the gates for entering the fort that opens in Jaleb Chowk. The chowk has the entrance to a private palace, called Ganesh Pol.
- Sheesh Mahal :- It is also known as Diwan-E-Khas or Jai Mahal. This is the court for the king’s private people. Here the official meetings with other kings or important persons of other states were done. The walls are designed with baroque mirrorwork. The mirror for this court was exported from Belgium.
- Diwan-E-Aam :- This is the court for the general public. Here the king celebrates festivals with the local people of his state. There are 64 pillars, made with red and yellow stones. The pillars were designed with elephants with roses in their trunks indicating both Mughal as well as Rajput architecture.
- Sukh Niwas :- It is the place where kings spend quality time with their wives or mistresses. Sukh Niwas is in the front of Diwan-E-Khas. The huge gates of this palace are made with sandal and ivory wood. A technique is used while making this palace, which keeps its walls cool.
- Maota Lake :- The lake at the bottom of the Amer fort. There is a Light and Sound show held on the lake in the evening which shows the gracious history of the fort. Two shows are organized daily, one in English and the other one in Hindi language.
Things to do in fort
- Elephant Rides :- It is the must to do thing in Amer fort. Riding on the back of an elephant provides a scenic view of Aravalli ranges from the hill. It is the most fun thing, climbing on the hill while being on the back of an elephant. The highs and lows on the back will provide the best experience.
- Puppet Shows :- These shows are played inside the fort in some specific locations. Foreigners find it entertaining, to see puppets dancing during dinner times. However, these puppets tell short stories about the royal palace and the king’s bravery.
- Light and Sound Show :- This show is held after sunset in the evening. The whole fort is lightened up making it a jewel piece along with this the sounds are played reciting the royal and brave history of Rajput rulers. The story becomes more special with the words of Gulzar in the voice of Amitabh Bachchan.
- Dance Shows :- These shows are held in Sukh Mahal for the visitors. Here the traditional Rajasthani folk dances are performed with various props. Tourists enjoy this part of the fort too as they engage themselves with the dancers to gain the full experience of Rajasthan.
- Restaurants :- There are various cafes and restaurants in the fort for the tourist to have their meals. These cafes and restaurants provide different kinds of cuisines from Royal Rajasthani thali to continental dishes.
There are so many things to see in Amer Fort. The fort tells its story on its own with the help of information boards at every location. It is a beautiful fort with the essence of poor Rajasthani culture. Amer Fort is one of the jewels of Jaipur with its rich history and tale of bravery. Therefore, it is a full-pack holiday destination for tourists as well as local residents.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with Ghummoindia.com