Dharamshala is a mesmerizing destination in the Himachal Pradesh state of India. It is an astonishing hill station famous for its beautiful views and Buddhist monarchies. The place is covered with mist-shroud, deodar, oak, and pine trees. The hill station has uneven and rugged terrains making it is perfect location for experiencing thrilling adventures. This place is the land of the Dalai Lama, having peace and harmony in its environment. Tourist from across the world comes here to relax in the picturesque Kangra valley. It is the least explored destination of Himachal Pradesh with scenic and heavenly views of snow-capped mountains and lush green forest.
McLeod Ganj on its outskirts is the home of Tenzin Gyatso, the present and 14th Dalai Lama. After his escape from Lhasa in 1959 he settled his exile here making Dharamshala the central Tibetan exile world in the country in 1960. The hill station is known for its Tibetan culture and Buddha traditions. It is the second capital of Himachal Pradesh state in India declaring the region as one of the national administrative divisions of India. However, the hill station is chosen among the 100 fastest developing cities in the country for the Smart City Mission by the Prime Minister. The valleys around the town make it a perfect tourist destination for exploring some unexplored beauty of the region.
The hill station is famous for
India is a country with different cultures as well as religions and every religion has its own value as well as nature. It is the country which is known for its changing traditions after every mile. However, Himachal Pradesh is a state that is an amalgamation of various cultures and religions. After a few kilometers, the language as well as traditions change here. Hence, Dharamshala is a region known for its Buddhist traditions and Tibetan cultures. It is the place where the 14th Dalai Lama lives and runs his Tibetan exile. The town is famous for its peaceful and religious environment along with its pretty Buddha monarchies.
Himachal is the region for adventure junkies and for those who desire to know what is an adrenaline rush. In this state, you can try whatever adventure you want to do and have experience. Therefore, from river rafting to paragliding every sport is available in the region and famed here as well. Dharamshala has idle treks for trekking. Its rugged and uneven trails make some perfect locations for trekking as well as for campaigning in the valley. You can also go for hiking and paragliding here as it serves the best atmospheric conditions for such adventures. However, most of the tourists also try ziplining and rafting in the region.
What to see in Dharamshala?
- Dalai Lama Residence :- This place is open for visitors to visit and witness the lives of Buddhist monks from nearby. The complex is big having various Buddha temples and a museum displaying the life of Tibetan people and their struggles. Here you can also find many manuscripts, scrolls, documents, books, and paintings relating to Bodh tradition and culture.
- Gyuto Monastery :- It is one of the must-visit and the oldest monastery in the town. This place is a well-known study center for Tantric meditation and Buddha philosophy. It is a copy of the Gyuto monastery in Tibet founded in 1474. Here you can have peace as well as harmony in the surroundings. The place is dedicated to its founder and is home to many Buddha monks.
- Masroor Temple :- This is a historic rock-cut temple that dates back to the 8th century AD. This place is a famous tourist attraction of the town and a must-visit place for history lovers. This complex has several monolithic temples visualizing the Indo-Aryan architecture. It is a beautiful location between the lush green forest and water streams. The carving on the temples beautifies the true Indian art forms.
- St. John in the Wilderness :- It is a famous church that lies on the outskirts of the town, 1.5 km from McLeod Ganj. This beautiful church has a beautiful architectural style constructed in 1852. This place is dedicated to St. John Baptist. It is a neo-Gothic Angelic church between the tall cedar forest. The church has a few memorials of earthquake victims of 1905 along with the tomb of Earl of Elgin.
- Naddi View Point :- This viewpoint is 2000ft. above the sea level near McLeod Ganj. It is one of the least unexplored destinations in the town. However, a beautiful mesmerizing location giving a spectacular view of majestic Dhauladhar ranges. The way to this viewpoint is a beautiful trek and you can also take cars to this point.
- Cricket Stadium :- It is among the highest cricket stadiums in the world at an altitude of 1457 meters. This stadium is high and one can have a magnificent view of the valley from here. The place is very famous among the tourists of the town. It is a beautiful place as well as a famed stadium of the state.
- The War Memorial :- This is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the town. This memorial is a tribute to Indian soldiers who lost their lives during various missions to protect the country. Here you can see the two black walls having the names of the martyrs. This is an amazing place in the middle of the forest.
- Kareri Lake :- It is an unknown as well as unexplored trek in the town. People do not know much about this trek and if you are a person who loves to explore the hidden gems this location is for you. Kareri is a freshwater lake the way to this lake is called as Triud trek. This place is near the Dharamshala and McLeod Ganj valleys.
The best time to visit Dharamshala
You can visit a hill station whenever you want to except for the months of monsoon. Because during the rainy season, the slopes of the hills become slippery and dangerous for trailing in the town. Therefore, it is advised not to visit hill stations in these months. They say that during rains the scenic beauty of hill stations increases and becomes more magnificent as well as astonishing. Hence you can visit at the start and the end of the season to witness its mesmerizing views.
The best time to explore Dharamshala is from March – June. This is the period when the weather here is enjoyable and friendly. During these months sun shines perfectly and flowers in the valley bloom making it a perfect picturesque destination. Tourists can enjoy different adventure sports and experience the natural beauty of the region. These months have the most satisfying as well as best climatic conditions to wander in the town to explore it to its fullest.
Tourists also visit here in the months of October – February, during the winter season to witness the unbeatable views of the valley as well as snow-capped mountain ranges. During these months the weather here is cold and freezing. This is the time when most of the tourists here are honeymooners and adventure junkies. These months have the perfect temperature for sightseeing and trying various activities in the town. The valley experiences snowfall in December – February attracting many visitors from different regions of the country.
Therefore, if you want a break from your hustling life and want to relax in the mountains, then Dharamshala is for you. This place is a perfect location to have a solo trip or with family for a few days and spend some quality time. However, tourist takes leave from their work and move to the hill station to rest and enjoy their work together. This is a beautiful destination of Himachal to explore, experience, and enjoy your holidays. Moreover, do not forget to taste and buy the local delicacies of the region for memories as well as for the feeling of belongingness.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with Ghummoindia.com