Gangtok is one of the most famous tourist destinations in India. It is the capital city of Sikkim, the most beautiful northeast location in India. Sikkim is a picturesque state with wonderful scenic views and geographical locations. Gangtok is a town in the higher peaks of the Himalayas. It is the gateway for entering Sikkim. Hill station gives a beautiful view of Mount Kanchenjunga, the world’s third largest mountain peak.
The hill station is 1650 meters high above sea level. This incredible hill station provides everything equally. Whether it is picturesque views or amazing adventure sports. Adventure junkies visit Gangtok for trekking and campaigning in the mountains of the Himalayas. In the spring season, the hill station got covered with the mesmerizing wild Rhododendrons and making the whole area colorful.
Tourist attractions of Gangtok
Gangtok is the cosmopolitan city of Sikkim, having diverse lifestyles, vibrant restaurants, shopping centers, nightclubs, and so on. This hill station offers various experiences as well as unforgettable memories. Town offers many tourist destinations with never forgetting views and experiences.
- Nathu La Pass :- It is the highest motorable road in the country. This road co-joins China and Sikkim by Himalayan Mountain pass. Nathu la pass is 14450 ft. above sea level on Indo-Tibetan borders. The word Nathula means “whistling pass”. This road gives a beautiful picturesque view of ranges covered and capped with snow.
- MG Road :- It is the open mall of Gangtok. This 1 km long street is the cleanest street in the city. There are shops, restaurants, food stalls, etc. on both sides of the road. This road is overlooked by the statue of unity representing peace, harmony, and love. MG road is the heart of the city and the center for most of the events as well as festivals.
- Tsomgo Lake :- This lake is formed by the melting of ice glaciers and snow from the mountains. It is famously known as Changu Lake. It is the religious lake of Sikkimese, related to many historical stories and myths. Tsomgo lake is between the high mountains enveloped with shining snow and green alpine forests. The lake has astonishing beauty and scenic views, which carry you to heaven.
Gangtok is the Buddhist pilgrimage center of the country. Here are several temples reflecting the tradition and culture of Buddha. The town has more than 6 monasteries providing comfort and relief to the visitors. These monasteries are the Buddha temples, named Viharas.
In Sikkim, several buddha parks are formed with huge structures of Gautam Buddha in the center. These parks are decorated with colorful religious flags as well as prayer wheels. Under these huge statues temple of buddha is formed with a small idol of the Buddha. The walls and pillars of these temples depict the life story of Gautam Buddha.
Adventures of Gangtok
- River Rafting :- The best spot for rafting in Gangtok is the Teesta river. It is an extended river with high turns and astonishing twists. This river is surrounded by beautiful lusty green mountains providing a mesmerizing experience. Tourists can enjoy both oar rafting as well as paddle rafting.
- Cable Car Ride :- It is a double cable ropeway 3500 ft. above sea level. This cable car ride provides a breathtaking view of the hill station. It is a 1 km long ropeway taking 15-20 min. to complete the distance. Tourists should do pre-booking for their rides as bookings are not available during the peak seasons.
- Mountain Biking :- It is an experience that takes bikers to complete peace. The ride through Rumtek town is one of the best exposures that one can have. Mountain biking is an exciting and thrilling sport as it gives you a deep experience of Gangtok’s colorful culture.
- Hang Gliding :- It is the sport getting famous recently in India. Sikkim provides the best hang-gliding experience. Gliding is like flying among the foothills of the Himalayas and having a breathtaking view of the valley.
- Cycling :- This is one of the most fun activities to do in Gangtok. Tourists who love to try different adventure sports, it is must try sports here. The trail on the silk route of the Himalayas and Mt. Kanchenjunga provides the best as well as most thrilling experience.
Best time to visit Gangtok
There is no best time to visit Gangtok because it is a whole year’s destination. Hill station looks different in every season. It gives beautiful views and mesmerizing vibes whenever you visit the hill station. If you want to see the natural blooming side of the town then visit in the months of March to May. During the spring season, the weather here is quite chilling, with clear blue skies, and beautiful ranges covered with blooming flowers. This is the peak season for tourist visits to the town.
Gangtok is a location with pleasant weather and breathtaking views. The town is famous for its amazing tourist destinations, never-ending adventures as well as easy availability of food. Therefore, it is the place where you can gain experiences along with enjoying the natural beauty and culture of India. Gangtok is a relaxing destination in northeast India.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with ghummoindia.