Pondicherry is a union territory of the nation known for its French colonial settlements. The city shares its boundaries with the Bay of Bengal and Tamil Nadu states. It is in the southeastern part of India having the influence of both southern and eastern cultures. This city is the most popular weekend destination for Chennai locals. It is a beautiful city having various temples, churches, beaches and historical monuments. Hence, tourists around the globe also named it Mini Goa.
However, the city hosts thousands of visitors every year to explore the beauty of this astonishing White town in the country. The city has many silent beaches providing a peaceful environment and mesmerizing views. Here you can find 350 Hindu temples in the city and out of which 70 temples belong to Lord Ganesh. The city has fun as well as chilling vibes giving the feel of an American city in India. Additionally, it is a planned city built according to an excellent town plan.
Pondicherry officially named Puducherry on August 16, 1962 was united with India. Hence the city got liberal on November 1, 1954, from the French Colonials. Therefore, the city took 9 years to be a part of the country after the exile of the French in 1954. This city has the highlights of French culture and lifestyles. The Union territory is famous for its different styles of coffee and picturesque views. Moreover, the city is the only location to have Scuba diving adventures on the whole East coast of India.
Beaches in Pondicherry
- Paradise Beach :- It is the most visited beach in the town, having a beautiful as well as peaceful environment. However, to reach here you have to take 30 mins. the ferry ride to Chunnambar. At this beach, swimming is not advisable, hence you can opt for fishing and playing outdoors at the beach.
- Promenade Beach :- This is a rock beach as you will find more rocks than sand here. It is a place where you can sit and enjoy mesmerizing views of the sea. This beautiful beach is a perfect picture destination in the city. Here you can have fun with your partners during the sunrise and sunset. During the daytime, it gets crowded and noisy.
- Serenity Beach :- It is a tranquil location in the city. This beach is famous for its quiet and beautiful landscape. The beach is known by the name of Spa Restaurant here but is officially known as Thanthirayan Kuppam Beach. At this beach you can enjoy various activities like surfing, playing, reading books in the sheds and many more.
- Reppo Beach :- This is one of the quietest locations in the territory. It is the place where you can enjoy the high waves of the sea with mesmerising sunset views. However, this beach is considered a rejuvenating place here where you can spend some healing time with yourself. As well as enjoy the heavenly views of the long-lost ocean.
Attractions of the Territory
- Auroville :- This is the city of peace and harmony in this union territory of the country. It was situated in 1968 by Mirra Alfassa, the dominator of the Shri Aurobindo Society. This city is a huge meditation centre where you can sit in silence and hear your inner voices. It is a fantastic as well as spiritual place to visit in the territory.
- Aurobindo Ashram :- This ashram was founded by Shri Aurobindo in 1926. It is a world-famous spiritual centre known for its various meditation as well as physical activities. In the middle of this ashram, there is a catacomb of Shri Aurobindo. He established this place to spread the values of peace and harmony in the world.
- Arikamedu :- It is one of the less explored destinations in the city. However, once this place was the Roman trade centre. This archaeological site is one of the musts to visit places by history lovers. Here you will find the ruins of the time along with one or two red and black ceramic structures.
- Sacred Heart of Jesus :- It is a beautiful example of Gothic architecture in the town. The Basilica of Sacred Heart of Jesus is a mesmerizing church here. In this church, you can witness the astonishing glass paintings of numerous saints and Jesus. Therefore, it is a charming place for visiting as well as worshipping.
Things to do in Pondicherry
- Chunnambar House Boat :- Chunnambar is a small village situated 8kms from the main city. This village is famous for its beach where you can enjoy mesmerizing views along with various water sports experiences. Additionally, you can enjoy the houseboat ride to the village and stay in these beautiful and fascinating houseboats in the middle of the sea.
- Cycling :- This is the picturesque experience in the town. Exploring the city on vintage cycles between the historic colonies designed in the French style. However, you can also go for the guided cycling tours, which will take you to the major destinations here. This fantasy experience will mark a special place in your heart.
- Museums :- The territory has been through an astonishing as well as memorable history. Therefore, it is necessary to have a glimpse of its history chapters and learn the foundation of this beautiful union territory. Hence, you can visit the museums here displaying the important ancient moments as well as the art and culture of the city.
- Scuba Diving :- Pondicherry is well known for its rich marine life in the Eastern part of the country. The territory is the only place in the region to enjoy thrilling as well as exotic scuba diving adventures. Here, you can see various unique species of marine flora and fauna. This underwater experience is a must to do a thing here and mark your list with some extraordinary memories.
Fusion food of east
Pondicherry has a fusion of tastes in its delicious local dishes. The union territory has the influence of both South Indian as well as French cultures in its lifestyle. Hence the regional food here is also full of fusion dishes and some original traditional dishes. You can start your day with a French breakfast such as Croissants and Baguette with Coffee. And the rest of the meals are the traditional Tamilian cuisines like Idli, Dosa and Sambhar with the staples such as Rice and Coconut chutney.
However, the food in the territory is known for its various fusion dishes such as Prawn Malay and Pondicherrian Fish Assad Curry. The cuisine here is the combination of such an incredible taste of South Indian flavours with French recipes. Therefore, it is mandatory to try the local dishes of the territory. Additionally, the territory has numerous picturesque cafes as well as restaurants where you can try different dishes in the regional delicacies.
Best time to visit Pondicherry
The best time to visit the city is the time when you want to take pictures of the luxurious streets of Paris in India. This city offers you vibrant vibes all around the year in every season. But being in the coastal part of the country it is preferred to visit the city during the months of October to March. During this period the temperature here is low and perfect for sightseeing. In these months the climate is sweet as well as best for enjoying and wandering on the streets of the territory. However, this is the best time to visit Pondicherry during the monsoon season when the weather is calm and pleasant.
Therefore, Goa Pondicherry is the best location to visit during your holidays. It is the perfect location to visit and spend some peaceful time with yourself away from the honking sounds of the cities. The Union territory is a holiday destination where you can find the ancient history as well as the modern culture of East Asia. However, the city is known as New Orleans in India. The city is also famous for its folk-dance form Pody – Podikazhi Attam founded on the outskirts of the town. Hence it is good to enjoy and create some unforgettable memories with your friends and family in Pondicherry.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with Ghummoindia.com