Aurangabad is the northernmost city of Maharashtra state in India. It is known as the tourism capital of the state. This beautiful city is surrounded by lush green hills which makes it a mesmerizing tourist destination. The city is famous for its ancient forts, temples, caves, and monuments. Additionally, the place is having various viewpoints along with the silent lakes and forests full of incredible flora and fauna. It is a historic land listing many memorable events of the past as well as one of the fastest developing cities in the state.
In ancient times the city was called Khadki which was given by the founder of the city Malik Amber the Prime Minister of Ahmednagar Nawab. After that in 1633 the city was captured by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. And his successor Aurangzeb changed the name of the city to Aurangabad in 1653. However, after the death of Aurangzeb in the 18th century the land was ruled by Nizams of Hyderabad until it was merged with Maharashtra. The city has various landmarks explaining the flourishing rule of the Mughals in the region.
Amazing facts about Aurangabad
- Aurangabad is the city of gates having a total of 54 gates around the city made during the rule of Aurangzeb.
- In June 2022, the leaders of the Maharashtra cabinet renamed the city, Sambhaji Nagar, after the second Chhatrapati of the Maratha clan the Sambhaji Bhosale.
- The city is the first Greenfield industrial city in the country according to the report 2019.
- This city lies on the bank of River Godavari hosting one of the largest dams in Maharashtra state.
- This beautiful land is famous for its historic caves of Ajanta and Ellora marked by their presence in UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- The signature dish of the city is Naan Khaliya. This delicious cuisine was brought during the rule of the Mughal dynasty.
- The Pathani and Himroo sarees made in the city are another world-famous thing here.
Attractions of Aurangabad
- Daulatabad Fort :- It is the must-to visit location near the city. This fort is also famous as Devagiri Fort which is an undefeated fort to date. The fort was commissioned in the 12th century by Yadava. It is a magnificent fort having Chand Minar and Chini Mahal on its premises. However, from the fort, you can have a panoramic view of the city and can capture the beautiful sunset from here.
- Bibi – ka – Maqbara :- This is one of the wonders present in the city. The place is a symbol of the immense love of Aurangzeb for his beloved wife Dilras Banu Begum. It is the second most astonishing structure after the Taj Mahal in the country. The monument is made with incredible white stone and precious gems embedded on its walls.
- Grishneshwar Temple :- The temple is the sacred place of Lord Shiva and one of the twelve Jyotir Lingas in the country. This ancient temple is a major tourist attraction of the city and lies near Ellora caves. The present structure of the temple was recreated in the 18th century displaying the fantastic Hindu style of architecture. The walls here have carvings of various Hindu gods and goddesses.
- Bhadra Maruti Temple :- It is a historic temple having old mythology about its creation. According to this Lord Hanuman has laid here to listen to the melodious singing of the region’s King who was a devotee of Lord Rama. Therefore, this temple was built here for worshipping Lord Hanuman in a sleeping posture. It is one of the three most sacred temples of lying Hanuman in the country.
Paintings of Ajanta caves
This is situated 99km away from the main city of Aurangabad. The caves are the renowned UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1986. Here are approximately 30 Buddhist caves dating back to the 2nd century. These caves are a must to witness the beauty of the country and heaven for art and history lovers. In these cases, you can see the paintings of Buddha along with their devotees on the walls of the caves. The place lies near the Western Ghats making it an amazing location for nature admirers. These caves have paintings and carvings of the culture, traditions, and living standards of past eras. The caves of Ajanta are structures emitting the natural beauty of its environment as well as its creations.
Mystery of Ellora’s caves
The caves are known for their amazing rock-cut sculptures on their walls. These are the finest example of rock-cut architecture in India. Here are more than 80 caves carved with astonishing architecture but only 34 caves are open for visitors. These caves are divided into three religions Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. However, Ellora caves were created by Rashtrakuta and Yadav dynasties. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a must to visit the location of city. In these caves, you can see sculptures as well as paintings of Jain Tirthankaras, Hindu God and Goddesses, Kings, and Buddha. The most famed attraction of these caves is the Kailasa Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva and one of the musts to see things here.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Maharashtra is when the climate is pleasant and in the season of rain, i.e., in the months of October to December. During these months the weather is in its best condition to give you a proper holiday vibe. This is the period when the flowers bloom and the forest around the region becomes green. However, it is the best time to reach Aurangabad for exploring its ancient temples, monuments, and caves. In these months the weather of the city is favorable for sightseeing as well as for wandering on its streets. Hence, you can explore and experience the charm of the city whenever you want. But this is the best time because during summers the region experiences humidity and heat in its environment.
Therefore, it can be said that Aurangabad is a beautiful city having is famous all around the world. The city has so much to explore and experience. It is the city not only known for its ancient monuments but also famous for its highly renowned education institutions. This city is one of the well-known developing cities in the state. However, it is a perfect holiday destination to plan with your family and enjoy quality time while witnessing its incredible pieces of architecture. This city is also a famous educational tour destination and a complete paradise for history and art lovers.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with ghummoindia.com