Coorg is a mesmerizing district of Karnataka state in India. This beautiful place is a breathtaking hill station known for its massive coffee plantation in the world. It is one of the most famous holiday destinations in the country. Coorg is a beautiful location with astonishing views and picturesque beauty. This place is a paradise for nature lovers as well as for photographers. Here you can witness many unexplored waterfalls, treks, and small towns. This hill station has uncountable hidden gems to explore and experience.
However, the hill station is not only famous for its majestic beauty but you can also experience many adventures here. This place offers thrilling adventures between the beautiful hill of South India. The town is in the eastern parts of the Western Ghats and is 1452 meters above sea level. The hill station is officially known as Kodagu and is one of the prominent hill stations in the region. Earlier Coorg was a separate state before it got combined with Mysore state in 1956. This place is breathtakingly beautiful and has unforgettable attractions.
- Dubare Elephant Camp :- It is a beautiful elephant reserve found by the forest department at the bank of river Kaveri. This place is a picnic spot where you can have a close interaction with Asiatic elephants. Apart from the elephants, you can also witness the presence of various birds as well as animals in the deep forest like peacocks, kingfishers, loin, tigers, and bears.
- Omkareshwara Temple :- This is a famous temple in the Madikeri village built by Linga Rajendra in 1820. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and lies in a pond in between the temple premises. The place is famous for its Indo – Saracenic and Islamic style of architecture. It is a pleasing place with tranquil beauty.
- Madikeri Fort :- The fort was constructed at the end of the 17th century by Mudduraja. It is the charming fort of Madikeri town housing a temple, state prison, church, and museum. This fort was renovate timely by many rulers over the period. The Anglican church in the fort displays the dominance of Britishers in the region.
- Harangi Dam :- It is a spectacular tourist spot of the hill station. This dam is in the Hudgur village in Coorg. This beautiful location is a famous picnic spot for family outings. The place has a mesmerizing environment with the cold breeze spreading in the area. It is the first dam over the river Kaveri that is 47 meters high and 846 meters wide.
Waterfalls in Coorg
- Abbey Falls :- This is a spectacular waterfall in the mid of dense coffee and spice plantations. It is a heavenly destination providing secren calm and peace. The place is 10 km from Madikeri town in Western Ghats. The fall drops from 70 ft. but has a wide stream which makes it a unique site to visit. However, the hanging bridge here is a perfect place to take pictures.
- Mallalli Falls :- The fall lies in the north of the main town in the foothills of Pushpagiri Hills. The trek to the waterfall will enhance your experience and give you some unforgettable memories in the town. This place enhances the charm of the region with its astonishing views and breathtaking scenery. This milky waterfall is one of the musts to visit locations here.
- Honnamana Kere Lake :- It is one of the largest lakes in the region as well as a famous tourist attraction in the town. The place has some religious values named after the goddess Honnamana having the temple on the lakeside. It is a peaceful location to spend some quality time in its calming environment. Hence, this lake is a mesmerizing place having silent and quiet surroundings.
- Chiklihole Reservoir :- It lies on one of the streams of the Kaveri river flowing in the region. This place is providing privacy and solitude to its visitors, unlike any other spots in the hill station. The reservoir is a perfect dream destination for photographers desires to take some exclusive pictures. However, the reservoir is surrounded by rich flora making it an astonishing place to visit.
Things to do in town
- River Rafting :- It is a thrilling experience in the town. Rafting in the Barapole river is a fantastic experience one can have. The river has high-flowing fresh water and a pebbled stream making it an idle spot for rafting. The location is astonishing having a mesmerizing landscape in the middle of a dense forest.
- Trekking :- The town offers numerous trekking spots idle for tourists who want to explore the natural beauty of the location. Treks like Kumara Parvatha, Brahmagiri, Tadiandamol, and Kodachari are some well-known trekking trails here. You can hike, trek, and camp in the region along with capturing some incredible views of the Western Ghats.
- Stroll in fields :- Coorg is famous for its coffee plantation in the world. Therefore, a stroll in coffee fields is a necessary thing to do here. Along with coffee plantations the region is also notifies for its tea as well as spices. The whole town is cover beneath the fields of tea, coffee, and spices along with the charming flora on their sides.
- Jeep Safari :- Exploring the different places from the roads of Coorg is again an awesome thing to do here. You can plan a jeep safari through the various tourist spots of the town. However, on this safari trip, you can also explore some new things while witnessing the natural as well as breathtaking views.
Best time to visit Coorg
Coorg is a year-round destination to visit. As the temperature ranges from 15°C – 20°C throughout the year. You can visit the destination according to your preferences for exploring and experiencing the city. Moreover, if you are a nature lover and a traveler who loves to explore during the off seasons then monsoon is the best season for you. The months of June – September is the period of heavy rain in the region. During this time the waterfalls gush with water and forests are at their greenest.
The months of October – March is the best time to visit the town. Because in these months the forest and plantation bloom in the region. these are the liveliest months here. During this time, you can easily trail around the town and visit for sightseeing. These months are considered the months for experiencing adventure sports. However, October and March are the best time to go trekking and hiking in the region.
Therefore, this village in Karnataka has so much to explore and experience. The misty weather of the town and picturesque views makes a person stay a little more. Additionally, the unexplored trails and their hidden beauty are something you can’t miss while visiting. Therefore, it is important to take the time of at least 3 – 4 days in your hand to explore the destination to its fullest. Coorg is a mesmerizing and heavenly destination in South India. That is why they say that a trip to Coorg is the most memorable one.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with ghummoindia.com