Darjeeling the queen of the hill stations of India. It is the hill station of West Bengal located in the northmost part of the country. This alluring hill station is famous for its tea production worldwide. This town is nested in the mountains of the Himalayas. Darjeeling is 2050 ft. above sea level and offers cold weather around the year.
This valley is a lovely destination for honeymoon couples. This majestic town has many attractions including biospheres, tea farms, sunset and sunrise viewpoints and many more. Earlier it was the capital of India during British rule in summers. Tourists can have picturesque views of Mt. Kanchenjunga, the highest peak in India.
- Tiger Hill :- These are the highest mountain ranges of Darjeeling, at the height of 2590 meters. This hill is famous for its scenic view of sunrise from Mt. Kanchenjunga. This mountain is located in the Kargil area of Ladakh. Tiger hills are internationally known for their spellbinding views of the Himalayas.
- Darjeeling Himalayan Railway :- This is a must to visit destination in this glorious town. Here you can have the unmatched experience of Darjeeling Toy Train. The train routes between lush green hills and snow-covered mountain ranges with beautiful flowers on the way. This toy train ride is one of the World Heritage Sites.
- Barbotey Rock Garden :- Is a beautiful garden covered with colourful flowers and views of mountain ranges. This garden is a perfect picnic spot for tourists. Garden is the home of Chunnu Summer Fall along with tea farms on its way. Tourists can relax here in the laps of green forest with the enchanting sound of waterfalls.
- Ghoom Monastery :- This monastery is 8000 ft. high and was constructed in 1850. It is a mesmerizing location where you find a big idle of Maitreyi Buddha. This is monastery is decorated with colourful Tibetan traditional flags. You can also have a view of Mt. Kanchenjunga from the corridors of the monastery.
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute :- This institute is among the count of world’s best mountaineering institutes. This institute was founded in 1954 for engaging the youth in mountaineering sports. This is a famous tourist attraction of Darjeeling as it is in the lush green hills and provides breathtaking views of mountain ranges.
Specialities of Darjeeling
Darjeeling is a blend of north Indian culture and tradition with the lip-smacking cuisines of west Bengal. This town has many specialities as well as activities to do. Tourists can enjoy their rides from one destination to another. Between the lusty green mountains mostly covered with clouds. The town has a vibrant and colourful vibe.
- Bird Watching :- The eastern part of the country is home to more than 800 species of birds. Being a partial rain area, the eastern part of India has rich flora and fauna across the world. This valley is near many Biospheres and Life zones which offer numerous birds to fly over. Here tourists can find many exotic species of birds as well like, Grey-Hooded Warbler, Golden Bush Robbin, White-Throated Laughingthrush, and so on.
- Dances :- Darjeeling is a mixture of many cultures, mainly influenced by Hinduism and Buddhism. The folk dances and songs here depict the stories of lush green forests and their people. The Nepalese people here perform many Nepalese folk dances and songs during the festival. The temple, religious rites, and cave paintings have also influenced the folk dances and songs of the people here.
- Markets :- This hill station is famous for its tea production and woollen items. Here tourists can buy shawls, hats, jackets, etc., as these all are handmade items. The valley offers various traditional and cultural handicrafts as well as Tibetan momentous. In the markets of Darjeeling, tourists can find many tea cafes where they can enjoy the flavours of Darjeeling’s tea and buy them from the markets around. Tourists also visit the Oxford Book store to purchase religious and interesting books there.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Darjeeling is in the months before rainfall. During the rainy season, the hill station is marked as risky to visit, due to the heavy rainfalls and the danger of landslides. The peak season for tourist visits to the hill station is in the months of April – June. These months are of the summer season, during this season the weather is amazing for sightseeing and exploring the valley. This is the perfect time for trekking in the hills and forests of the Himalayas.
Therefore, it can be said that Darjeeling is a must to visit the location of West Bengal. This is a valley with exploding experiences of nature and traditions. Hence, it is a perfect destination for nature lovers as it has a wide variety of flora and fauna. Travellers visit here for etched experiences in trekking, photography, art and many more. This Queen of Hills gives unforgettable memories to its visitors.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with ghummoindia.