Munnar is a majestic hill station in Kerala in India. This hill station is popular for its greenery and mesmerizing views. It is in the Western Ghats region of southwestern India. This charming hill station is one of the most famous tourist destinations in Kerala. The hill station is the place where many famous movie scenes are shoot like Chennai Express, Bahubali, etc. Munnar is a town completely covered with tea plants.
This hill station is 1600 ft. above sea level and was formed with the merger of three mountain ranges, Kundala, Mudrapuzha, and Nallathanni. Earlier the town was one of the Britisher’s summer resorts and now is the most lovable honeymoon destination of Kerala. Munnar has mesmerizing weather along with exotic grassland with flora. Here grows a flower name Neelakurinji which blooms every twelve years next in 2030. This is a breathtaking location to explore and experience.
Things to do in Munnar
- Mountain Biking :- It is a fun experience to travel in the mountains on bikes. The beautiful rides with all the safety gear are different fun. Riding between the tea plantations of Munnar is a memorable experience to have.
- Rock Climbing :- This beautiful hill station is surrounded by rocky hills which make it possible for adventure junkies to have thrilling experiences in the town. These adventures are performed under the guidance of experts with safety gear.
- Jeep Safari :- This is a fun way to make your trip worthwhile. It is an off-road drive covering all the major attractions of the town. In this, you can explore the hidden beauties of the hill station while traveling from one location to another.
- River Crossing :- This is the most thrilling and tried activity in the town. In this, you have to cross the river with the help of a harness and a rope tied from both ends of the river. This adventure is thrilling as well as fun because you walk on the surface of the water.
- Bamboo Rafting :- It is a beautiful water sport to try. As the town has various rivers flowing through it. This is an activity similar to boating but in this bamboo, rafts are there for floating on the water. A guide will be there on the raft to guide you for the ride.
- Athirappilly Waterfall :- This is the largest waterfall in the state which is about 81.5 ft. tall. It is a wonderful location to visit as well as one of the less visited locations here. Hence it is a spot on the way to Munnar from Kochi. Here a scene from the Bahubali movie has been shot. The waterfall is the Niagara of South India.
- Attukad Waterfall :- It is a majestic waterfall between Munnar and Pallivasal. This location is beautiful as well as surrounded by lush green forests. However, you can spend some relaxing time and enjoy it near the fall. It is a thrilling trekking spot that makes you feel an adrenaline rush in your body.
- Echo Point :- This point is 600 ft. above sea level, 15 km from Munnar. This place is a very famous tourist point in Munnar. The point is known as the Echo point because from this point your voice will reverberate back to you repeatedly. This place has an astonishing view as the point is covered with clouds and mist.
- Pothamedu Viewpoint :- It is a never-ending tea plantation point. From here you can have panoramic views of the hill station as well as of nearby mountain ranges. It is a perfect location for taking pictures between the tea plantations. This viewpoint is also a good location for trekking in the hills.
- Photo Point :- It is a picturesque spot of the town on the Neelgiri slops. This is a famous sight for picnics as well as for filming. The point is on the way to Mattupaetty waterfall and 2kms away from the main town. However, it is a beautiful and mesmerizing location with tea and spice plantations.
- Eravikulam National Park :- This national park is the house of uncountable species of flora and fauna. This park is on the topmost point of the Western Ghats and is spread over an area of 95 km. This is heaven for nature lovers as well as bird watchers. Here you can find unique species of birds as well as animals.
- Munnar Tea Museum :- This museum is the place where you can witness the origin and evolution of tea in the region. It is a wide area covered with tea estates and museums. The charm, as well as the beauty of this place, is unbeatable. Here you can try the different teas made with fresh tea leaves.
- Mattupaetty :- It is a dam on Mattupaety lake which is 1700 meters high. This dam is made for conserving water as well as for electricity generation. Here you can enjoy speed boating in the lake. Moreover, you can also enjoy the mesmerizing views of the mountains from here.
- Devikulam :- It is a small village near Munnar famous for various sites. The literal meaning of Devikulam is the Ponds of Devi (goddess). Here you can visit different ancient sites and lakes. The famous lake here is Sita Devi Lake which has so much value for the locals.
- Nayamakad :- This is a famous picnic and trekking spot in the town. It is a waterfall having panoramic views of the region. This waterfall is the largest waterfall here and is about 10 km from the main town. The way to this fall is beautifully covered with tea and spice plantations.
Best time to visit Munnar
Munnar is a wonderful destination with heavenly weather. The town offers pleasant and pure weather around the year. Being in tropical Kerala the hill station is the green Eden with the most beautiful climate. You can visit the hill station in any season here the climate is best in each month of the year. The temperature here is unpredictable as it changes every next hour of the day.
This hill station is a place where you can enjoy summer in the months of April and May. During this time the weather here is clear and best for sightseeing. However, in these months you can enjoy the picturesque views of the town.
In the months from June to September, the weather here is beautiful and mesmerizing. As these are the months of Monsoon season. During these months you can experience little showers of rain along with a chilling breeze. This is the peak season for tourist visits to the town. Hence, it is the best time to visit because during these months the flora here blooms and makes the valley even more beautiful and breath-taking.
If you want to experience the heavenly view of Munnar the best time to visit is from October to March. During this time the weather is comfortably cold as well as astonishing. These are the months of the Winter season which are mixed with rain and showers of mist throughout the period.
How to reach the town
It is not a problem to visit Munnar as the town is well connected with all the other parts of the country via different means. You can easily reach the city via railways, airways, and roadways. The hill station has well-maintained highways as well as national highways. Even tourists around the world can also visit the town with ease.
- Air :- You can reach the town by boarding a flight to Cochin International Airport in Kochi. After that take a taxi, car, cab, or bus to reach Munnar via the road. This way from Kochi to Munnar is of about 3 hours long and a mesmerizing way to capture and get lost in the beauty of Kerala.
- Railways :- The nearby railway station to Munnar is Ernakulam South in Kochi. This railway station is about 127km away from the town. The railway station is connected with the different parts of India. After reaching the railway station tourists have to hire a cab or a taxi or take a bus to reach the hill station.
Thus, we can finalize the experience of Munnar with the statement that is it Kashmir in South India. This wonderful and amazing location has so much to experience and explore. Here you can create uncountable memories with the breathtaking views. Moreover, this hill station is not only worth it if you visit some specific locations. But it is worth coming to this spectacular destination as its ways are surrounded by tea and spice plantations. Hence, wherever you see you will find greenery and a calm environment. Munnar is the best place to have peace and silence in God’s place Kerala.
If you want to know more about travel, then stay updated with ghummoindia.com